Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday March 23 2012

The IRB was due this week and we spent most of the day going in and out making the necessary changes to the protocol. I also was informed by the neuroscience department that the research that I was to be doing in India need to be related to Neuroscience.
I have been doing a lot recently to make my proposal and draft much more meaningful. I feel that with the addition of the Neuroscience aspect of my project there will be a lot that has to go into it in order to not only get it through the IRB but also to have it ready and prepared for the substance that will be used in the field in order to justify its validity in collecting viable data.
In order to make it fit under the new parameters that the Neuroscience department has put into place I will have to go in and adjust my project as a whole. Instead of gaging he perceptions of the citizens of the area I will now be analyzing the pre-dispositions of the subjects in selecting Western or Traditional healthcare options when confronted with a mental disease. Luckily on my part mental disease isn't as grim and gloomy as the word makes it seem. I can focus on something from depression or anxiety all the way to something as serious as schizophrenia or autism. So I haven't exactly decided yet what topic I want to chose when it comes down to what specific disorder I will be analyzing. However in any of my preliminary research that I have done regarding the topics of Depression and Anxiety, I have found mixed reports as to the status of the disease in India and or other south asian countries. I know or I can at least anticipate that there will be some sort of language barrier or cultural barrier when it comes to what I see as depression and or anxiety and what the people see depression and or anxiety to be when I get to the field. It will be interesting to see what exactly it is that is appropriate regarding depression or anxiety and what I can talk about openly with people. I know that depression has been proliferated significantly by western traditions and practices and I hope that I can keep that bias out of my research as I go forth looking for the subjects opinion on the matter.
I have so much to figure out concerning the direction that this new part or shift in my proposal is going to go that I really feel like more knowledge of neurological disorders really might help me on. I figure its back to the drawing board to see what will happen after this major tweak.

No comments:

Post a Comment