Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Monday Jan 23 2012


Our last class with Ashley was where we did the group discussion based on the readings that we were to do had me thinking a lot based on the project Ideas and the validity of how our methods in the field would support out proposal on paper. I walked away with such a feeling of uncertainty. Most of what I want to do is very scientific by nature. I have to re-evaluate the direction that I want to take my proposed project idea.

Some of my thoughts include the following,
-As I move to focus on the medical perceptions of the people in the Tamil Nadu region, maybe I should include an analysis of an anthropological aspect of their understanding or interpretation/definition of preventative medicine.
-Maybe it would be wise to do some sort of data collection other than just a survey. When drawing lines between the criteria that I have outlined it might be better to use observations of the people in health oriented locations such as hospitals and clinics.
-It might be wise to also use other sources of medical attention to outline my work. Asking the locals what is their first line of medical attention or whom they trust for medical tips and advice might also be very telling as to their perceptions regarding medical attention.

3 comments:

  1. Check out the Ayurvedas. It is basically an ancient Indian health manual that they still follow today. I do not know if there is one source you can look at exactly, but if you find a satisfactorily Indian one (don't bother with western ones, they will probably be geared for the superficial yoga crowd) it should serve as a pretty good introduction to what they believe. Also, you will want to check into how and to which gods Hindus pray for healing, as well as tantric rituals which also sometimes deal in healing. At least to start. At least that is where I would start if you want an "anthropological" background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to be using a survey that was developed by someone else, or are you planning to create your own? In my experience survey design has been a lot more difficult than I would have thought a few years ago, even without the additional challenges of trying to communicate across languages and cultures ... I feel creating a good survey can be a whole project in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a great point by both of you.
    Thanks rem I looked into the Ayuredas and it is a great resource. I hope to be able to use it and some the other similar documents to outline what I want to accomplish as far as an indepth study of the medical culture in India.
    Jay I need to find a good survey that would work but I dont even know where I would begin to look. If you had any suggestions they would be very welcomed.

    ReplyDelete