Friday, February 3, 2012

Friday Feb 3 2012


I started reading the Ramayana Wednesday night. I have studied several similar texts in the past and I really enjoy the ancient texts and their significance. I feel that in just reading the prologue and the introduction combined with the first 40 some odd pages really helped me understand a bit more about the culture that I am going to be immersed in.
In my first college experience I did the concurrent enrollment program and I was able to take a myths in human culture course at the community college in Charlotte where I grew up. I learned a ton about Native American text, Buddhist texts, Hindu’s text and early Christian texts as well. As I have re engaged myself in the Ramayana I really have begun to connect with all of the other early tests that I have had my eyes opened again to the parallels in the myths that ancient cultures posses. 
I do wonder how my knowledge of the people's traditions and religious history might affect the type of research that I will do in the field. I also realize that if I am to understand these people I will have to understand their traditions and customs.

No comments:

Post a Comment